Monday, October 14, 2013

Monday Made It: Scratch Off Tickets


I finally had a productive weekend! I've had these two things on my to do list for over a month and I finally had time! I partially owe it to my new cleaning lady we just hired. I am so blessed to have some extra money every other week from tutoring that I can have someone clean my house while I am at work. Now I can actually spend time at home with my husband and puppy dog and not spend the weekend cleaning! Yahoo!

So, I have made these for a while, but have always forgotten to take pictures to show to all of you. These are super easy to make and are a HUGE hit with middle schoolers. They are scratch offs as reward coupons! The catch is that not everyone is a winner...just like real scratch offs! Now, only about 20% of the ones that I make sent winners, whereas in real life, it's way more than that. I'm trying to teach them about the real world. Baby steps. 


Anywho, start with a pre-printed card with any reward that would be appropriate for your class. I used bonus points on a test, quiz, homework, and then there are those that say "sorry, not a winner!" At least I say sorry, right? 

Ok, I'm getting off track. Print these on card stock. I can get 15 to a page. I usually do about 15 sheets at a time because that's about as much counter space I have at one given time. You'll see what I mean in a minute. After you cut them, you want to cut a piece of contact paper and place it over the typed reward that you want to hide under the scratch off part. 

See the contact paper? Not a huge amount. Just enough to cover. Then lay them all out. I use my entire island in my kitchen plus another small area. 

Now it's time to make the "scratch off part"


It's very scientific, so make sure you follow directions--1 part dawn dish soap (must be the original blue!) and 2 parts metallic silver acrylic paint. I want to try gold next. I wonder if that would work! You know me, always living on the edge. Okay, mix up the soap and paint and start layering it on the contact paper!



You may need two coats. Do one coat on all of them and then go back over to touch up. 


Let dry for a few hours. I usually do this at night and let it dry overnight. Then test it out!




It works! Huzzah! Now I just need to think about what else I can make into a scratch off...




23 comments:

  1. Great idea. I will have to try the scratch offs! Thanks for sharing.

    Jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative. Thanks for the step by step pictures. I have seen these before, but haven't tried them. I bet the kids love them.
    P.S. The best thing I ever did was hire a cleaning person. LOVE not having to do it and let's face it, my person does a much better job than I would. SO WORTH IT!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously love this idea - I bet even high school kids would love this. I wish I had a cleaning lady seriously, but I think I would feel like I have to clean to have the cleaning lady come...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! You are so clever. Thank you for sharing. I bet this goes pin crazy on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I teach science to 385 kiddos. I love this trick and it also is a great mini-lesson. How fun would it be at holiday time to use this for a fun scratch off question-answer review! Trying it, loving it. Thanks for sharing. I love that you live, love, math. I live, love, science!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I am going to have to pin this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Has anyone tried using the clear mailing labels instead of contact paper? Wondering if it worked the same?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this idea! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great idea. I wonder if it would work with clear address labels rather than contact paper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a wonderful idea. Do you have a template for this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just being curious when(criteria) and how often you choose to give them out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use them sparingly...maybe once or twice in a 9 week grading period or use them as a reward for winning a game, being good for a substitute, etc.

      Delete
  13. This is great! Do you think it would work if I just wrote the prize in? I thought this would be a great idea to use instead of a treasure box. Plus it's basically free! (besides the index cards etc. etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as long as you put the contact paper on top, that should work!

      Delete
  14. Love this! I'll share it on my blog, theteacherin.me - giving you 100% credit for this idea, of course. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! I'll share it on my blog, theteacherin.me - giving you 100% credit for this idea, of course. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome! Thank you for sharing! What prizes do you give?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give things that are easy to give like +5 points on a HW assignment or on a quiz.

      Delete
  17. You can buy scratchoff stickers from Amazon in all different colors/shapes.

    ReplyDelete